Ivan Chai is an ancient and traditional Russian tea made using the leaves of the Ivan chai plant, otherwise known as willow herb, or fireweed. It has a sweet, fruity and floral taste, with delicious depth and contains no caffeine, uric acid, oxalic acid, taurine or purine as is common in black, green and white teas.
Teeming with amino acids, micro and macro nutrients, and rich in minerals, vitamins, flavonoids and antioxidants, Ivan Chai has been revered and enjoyed through Russian history for its delicious flavour, impressive immune boosting and detoxifying properties, and beautiful soothing and healing abilities.
This tea is wild harvested in small batches, collected by hand in Northern Alberta's Boreal Forests. After carefully sorting and wilting the leaves, they are gently rolled by hand in the traditional fashion and left to oxidize for 2-3 days. After the careful fermentation is complete, the tea is dried and lightly roasted to create that smooth floral depth that Russia has cherished for millennia.
Whether you like your tea hot or iced, sweetened, creamed, or black - or even in your homemade kombucha - our Ivan Chai is sure to find a special place in your home as it has in ours.
Disclaimer: These statements and this product have not been evaluated by the FDA. Consume at your own risk. The above information is for educational purposes only. The information provided is not meant to treat, diagnose, cure, or prevent any health condition. It is strongly recommended that you consult with a healthcare provider before use of any new product especially if you are using medication, have a pre-existing health condition, are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Handcrafted Russian Ivan Chai Tea 2oz / 57g
Ivan Chai was very popular from the 12th century up until the first world war when it was ousted from the European market and replaced by Chinese and Indian teas.
The Chinese and Indians took the technology of processing teas, as well as the name “chai” from the Russians. Up until 1916, Russia was the largest supplier of tea in the world and in the 19th century, Ivan Chai was the second most exported Russian item - even above linen and furs!
Before the 20th century, Ivan chai was the daily drink of choice for all Russians.
In the beginning of the 20th century, doctor Peter Badmayev devoted most of his scientific work to uncovering the secret healing power of Ivan chai tea. People came from all over the world to receive his treatments! He lived to be 110, and could have lived longer had he not been captured and tortured to reveal his secrets of longevity, but he didn’t give in. He even had a child at the age 109!
Hitler was so afraid of this tea, and of the possible super-powers it could give to soldiers, that he destroyed Koporye, the village and factory where many experiments using Ivan Chai were being carried out.
PROCESSING of IVAN CHAI:
Ivan Chai is collected during specific times and processed in a very unique way. What makes this tea special, tasty and extremely healthy is that is undergoes fermentation, which unlocks nutrients, expands the vitamin content, and releases new characteristics and qualities that wouldn’t be available through regular drying or souring.
SOME NUTRIENTS and ABILITIES of IVAN CHAI:
“Due to its soothing, anti-inflammatory, astringent (contraction of skin and tissues), enveloping, diaphoretic (inducing perspiration), emollient (gentle, soothing and softening) actions, Ivan Chai has become the basis for many remedies against a wide variety of diseases.”
- Strengthens the immune system
- Powerful antioxidant
- Extremely anti-inflammatory, thus helping to relieve pain. Has the highest anti-inflammatory index among commonly known plants
- Stabilizes blood pressure
- Helps cleanse and detox the body, as well as remove toxins
- Aids digestion, gastroduodenitis and the healing of ulcers
- Treats prostate adenoma and prostatitis, making it extremely good for men
- Relieves headaches
- Soothes and calms stress and tension
- Helps bring balance to the body
- Improves mother’s milk and enhances lactation
- Helps fight insomnia
- Alkalizes the blood
- Fights cancer cells
- Helps with anemia
- Fights infections and allergies
- Helps with infertility
- Clears respiratory system
- Supports kidneys and urinary tract
- Helps increases strength and endurance
- Skin diseases such as dermatitis, eczema, psoriasis, acne, furunculosis
- Menopause and menstral irregularities
- Increases the absorption of nutrients and contains about 70 macro nutrients and vitamins. Trace minerals including copper, iron, magnesium, calcium, potassium, manganese, sodium, lithium, titanium, and molybdenum. Also includes 16 amino acids, and flavonoids.
- Vitamins A, B, PP and C - Over 6x the vitamin C of lemons (Anything that has undergone fermentation will have its vitamin C content raised at least 20%.)
Pour about 1 1/2 cups of simmering water over 2 tsp. of Ivan chai. Cover and steep for 10-15 minutes. It must be covered so as to preserve the essential oils. Sweeten with honey or stevia (not sugar!). Strain and repeat 3-5 times. Delicious served both hot or cold. Can be stored in fridge up to 5 days due to the essential oils. Dry tea in bag or jar will last up to 3 years.
If diarrhea or other allergic reactions occur, stop using. Also, after consistent use for a month or so, some advise taking a break for a few days. Use common sense and listen to what your body is telling you.
This tea is not intended to cure any disease you might have.